Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

The 5 Scariest Autism "Treatments"

Emily Willingham, a contributor to Forbes, recently wrote this article.

It is frighteningly titled "The 5 Scariest Autism 'Treatments'"

And goodness, it sure is scary.

Honestly, the 'treatments' Ms Willingham writes about are really shocking and disturbing so I'm not going to detail them here.  I linked above to the article if you would like to know more.  Essentially, what Ms Willingham uncovers is that the 'treatments' people have used (possibly with good intentions) in order to "cure" Autistics are extremely dangerous and can cause permanent harm or even death.  That's terrifying to me.



I don't believe that Autism is something we need a cure for, but I do agree that some Autistics function better with certain interventions (like medication or ABA).  I know I do, and I don't think that makes me any less Autistic or any less human.  Regardless of your opinion -- and I know that as soon as anyone mentions "autism treatment" or "autism cure" there are bound to be people riled up -- my public service announcement is:

Please be educated and, above all, please be safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment