Saturday, 5 January 2013

What You See Is What You Get

I am talking about the common expressive phrase "what you see is what you get," which has a meaning similar to "say what you mean and mean what you say."
I say what I mean and I mean what I say.
Some people call it "brutal honesty."  Some people just call it "honesty."  Sometimes, it can be considered "rude," although I rarely can delineate these times from the rest.
I have been known to tell people that I do not like them.  I have been known to take thoughts that should remain "internal" and vocalize them externally.  I don't do this to frustrate or to anger; I do this because this is how I understand the world.
Language is used for communication and I have great respect for language, thus great respect for communication.  So the idea of communicating in an unclear way is completely foreign to me.  I am twenty years old and I simply do not understand the reason some people feel the need to lie or to mold their truths in a new way.
Recently, I realized that not all people communicate the way I do.  I do not mean that not all people communicate verbally -- of course I know this, I know many non-verbal people -- but rather that not all verbal people use language solely to tell truths.  A woman in class complains about another student's obnoxious personality, but as soon as the student in question arrives, the woman is as kind to her as she would be to a sibling or a best friend.  Why?  Has her plane of existence shifted and she is now in a dimension where she enjoys the company of this person?
For a lot of people, this is easy to understand.  I explained my situation to my mother who told me that this is just how some people are.  But for me, this is a complicated concept to fully comprehend.
Is this the fault of autism?
I don't know.
I just know it confuses me.